It can be hard to decide on school trip destinations for Geography students – there are so many great places to choose from!
You’ll need to consider whether you want to teach students about soaring mountains, sunny shores or urban jungles. Luckily, we’re here to help: here are two of our favourite school trip destinations for Geography students.
Two top school trip destinations for Geography students
Nicknamed the ‘land of ice and fire’, Iceland is one of the best school trip destinations for Geography students. Why? Well it has an abundance of exciting geological and volcanic features to explore!
Just outside the Arctic Circle, this chilly destination is a Nordic Island country with lots to explore.
Tie your trip into the curriculum, and take your students to explore the Solheimajokull Glacier. There are crevices, sink holes and ice ridges to see, so don’t forget your camera!
While you’re there, make sure you visit the active volcano – it’s one of the main reasons that makes Iceland a perfect school trip destination for Geography students! Visit the Iceland Erupts Exhibition Centre and learn more about the 2010 eruption.
Don’t forget to visit the geysers, too. Take a trip to the site of the Great Geyser which began erupting in the 14th century, but stopped after tourist interference. To see a geyser in action, head to Strokkur which erupts every 3-8 minutes!
So, now you know this is one of the best school trip destinations for Geography students, here are some tips for the trip:
- Bring sturdy, waterproof walking boots
- Pack lots of layers – it’s cold outside, but inside can get pretty toasty
- Take lots of snacks – there aren’t many places to stop for food!
The sun-drenched island of Sicily is another of our favourite school trip destinations for Geography students.
Packed full of historic sites, this is a great trip to combine with other humanities subjects! Visit the Ancient Theatre, built in the 3rd Century BC by Greeks and re-modelled by Romans – it’s stunning. Agrigento & the Necropolis are must-see destinations too!
Make sure to visit Mount Etna; it’s Europe’s highest and largest active volcano. To see the effects of this massive volcano, visit the village of Zafferana Etnea.
Geography students will love exploring the unspoiled landscapes of this Italian region. Visit Vulcano Island and Tindari Lake for picture-perfect views, then go to Scal Dei Turchi to see the white limestone cliffs, sculpted into a staircase. This is a great tie-in to the curriculum, and a truly fascinating sight.
Our tips for this trip?
- Pack a lot of sunscreen
- Don’t forget your walking boots – there’s some rough terrain to cover
- Check your guidebook before you go, there’s plenty to see!
How can WorldStrides help you on these trips?
We want to help you find the perfect school trip destinations for Geography students, so here’s how we fit into your planning process:
- Organisation: We can help in the planning and execution of your school trip. We also work closely with partners in many different countries, so help is never far away.
- Promotion: We encourage the kids (and parents) to get involved.
- Education: We make sure that all our itineraries tie into the school curriculum, and work with teachers to tailor each trip to your requirements.
- Health & safety: We only work with LOtC accredited members and are ATOL protected, so you’re covered in case there are any blips.
- Fun: We have a wealth of experience in getting students involved and engaged with their trips. We pride ourselves on making school trips fun for students and teachers alike!
So, that’s it, a quick round-up of some of the best school trip destinations for Geography students. We hope it helps!
Start planning your next Geography trip today! Get in touch with the WorldStrides team.