- Fly to Catania Catania is the largest city in eastern Sicily and a busy seaport. Much of Catania was designed by the architect Vaccarini, who rebuilt the city after the 1693 earthquake.
- Continue to Taormina Taormina is located on a hill of the Monte Tauro and has spectacular views of Mount Etna and the sea.
- Ancient Theatre Visit the Ancient Theatre at Taormina. It is thought to have been built by the Greeks in the 3rd century BC, but to have been remodelled later by the Romans and used as an arena for their games.
- Travel Back to Catania
CataniaTaorminaMount Etna National ParkVulcano IslandTindari LakeAgrigentoScale Dei TurchiCavagrande del Cassibile Nature ReserveNecropolis Pantalica
Your Adventure, Day by Day
- Mount Etna National Park Explore Mount Etna National Park, home to the highest and largest active volcano in Europe. Take a guided walk to learn about the flora, fauna and volcanic aspects of the region.
- Zafferana Etnea Stop in at Zafferana Etnea, a small village impacted by Etna.
- Vulcano Island Set sail for Vulcano Island, a small volcanic island. Once known as “Therasia”, meaning hot and “Hierà” meaning sacred, the island is 21 square kilometres and lies at the southern most point of the Aeolian group. Vulcano remains a jewel of rare beauty and unspoiled nature evident in its lush vegetation, smoky fumaroles, renowned natural mud pool and the release of Sulphur.
- Tindari Lake Visit Tindari to see the extraordinary "linguetta di sabbia", a sandbank stretching 1.5km into the sea. Clearly visible on satellite photos, the "tongue" is raised about 4 metres above sea-level at its highest point and creates a lagoon on its land side.
- Agrigento Visit Agrigento, which lies on the site of an important ancient Greek city. Walk the medieval streets and narrow alleyways.
- Scala Dei Turchi View the Scala dei Turchi (Italian for “Stairs of the Turks”), a white limestone cliff, sculpted like a staircase, on the coast of Realmonte. The Scala is formed by marl, a sedimentary rock with a characteristic white colour.
- Cavagrande del Cassibile Nature Reserve Visit this large nature reserve for panoramic views over the province of Syracuse and into the canyon below.
- Necropolis Pantalica See the Necropolis of Pantalica, a large necropolis with over 4,000 tombs dating from the 13th to the 7th centuries BC upon steep cliff sides.
- Fly Home Fly back from Catania to the UK.
Want a location that’s not listed above?
If you don’t see the trip or destination you’re looking for, no need to worry. WorldStrides has the power to take you anywhere you want to go. Just click on the button below to begin the journey.